Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Australian Design Awards 2011 - Golden Circle Chilled Juice bottle

hinh




To me, Golden Circle Chilled Juice bottle is an amazing design and it definitely deserves for an Australian Design Award 2011. Looking at my last project – Packaging, the next milk generations and this juice bottle design, it reflects a big gap of differences in innovations. I greatly appreciate the work that showed me how to manage the cost but still reach the goal of improvement in creative design, which I couldn’t really achieve my last project :(

At the moment I’m seeing more Pros (primary positive aspects of a design) than Cons (primary negative aspect of a design) in this Juice bottle:

Pros:

• In the market, most beverages don’t have handle, thus it is very hard and slippery for handling sometimes. Looking at this handle in Golden circle chilled bottle, it directly reminds me of milk bottle in the market as well as the one I have just done in the last project.

• Handle is located symmetrically in the central of the bottle and appears elegantly in streamline shape. This gorgeous handle makes the job of “lifting” and “pouring” juice done easier as compared to the existing ones. The lower central of points of gravity provide a better balance for users especially to children.
I really appreciate for seeing this design and seeing this handle. I was really get sucked with an innovative handle for my milk bottle. As I always keep in mind, pricing is important in the Australian milk market, that’s why I don’t really want to change a lot and stay far from the existing one because it may cost higher during the process of manufacture and fabrication. I simply just changed the shape of the handle (into a leaf shape) and made another bottom handle base, so children can handle it easier. However, this juice bottle changes my thoughts. Pricing is important but it doesn’t mean to make no change at all. New location of handle and appealing contour line shape still cost the same price during manufacture.


• The clear and simple shape has enlarged the branding area, thus makes it easier to see by users.
Here is another point that I need to learn from this design as well. As comparing to my milk bottle, the logo was nice but it was small and limited by the small area of branding.

Cons:

There seems no negative point that I can pick from this design. As long as I see it would be better if Golden Circle chilled juice bottle considers some of this:

• The whole design of this bottle focusing on the handle, I think it is nicer if we have some more contour lines run along the handle or even textures, thus it is tighter to hold and prevent slippery.


There is a thump area , it simply to indicates the user the way of handling this bottle , as well as it helps thump feeling more comfy and holding tighter.


Some contours - vertical and horizonetal. The verical looks more abstractive as it following the shape of the handle, however, the horizontal contour helps to prevent slippery better



enlarge view. Inside handle molded for fuinger fitted is also cool to hold.

• The material used for this bottle is HDPE. It is cool if this make from a 100% recycle plastic material because usually HDPE plastic goes to landfill and often got stucked there for over hundreds of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment