Sunday, August 1, 2010

Video Reflections- David Kelly: HUMAN CENTRED DESIGN

David Kelly on Human Centred Design is a good video for new designer like me even the products were made around 2002. It does not simply show me the products that I have ever known but also clarifies that design is changing. Every product is trending towards humanity. Its behaviour and personality are to bring advancement to human life.

The Cubicle is the most impressed to me. As I have said in my Design Career that I wish to product something meaningful which can make people happy and cosy every time at home. The new Cubicle made it. Cubicle is no more a boring separated wall in offices; it now makes officer feel comfy and homey. How amazing it could be to have a greeting flower every time you are there and wilt when you leave disappointed. Also I feel it is so amazing to have an idea of having built in fishtank for relaxing, punching bag for releasing tension or even a hammock for an evening nap. They are all just so awesome. It is exactly right as what its called Human centred Design, where designer produce a design which reaches the need of user.

Greenwich Watercycle Pavilion inspired me by the interior architecture. By looking through the video I can feel a peaceful atmosphere at this Pavilion. Nature is just so close to human, people feel wild and feel fresh by the surrounding of recycling trees and water. It is again not a boring place as usual; now it is where people can express their feeling with nature as well as relaxing. I like the idea of rotate panel where information is shown and visitors also can look through and see the real process of recycling water.

Retail store of Prada is alright. Of course, I also do “wow” as everyone who firstly see new technologies like liquid crystal door or mirror that displays your back. Having a scanner or touch screen in the fitting room are creative as it makes buyer feel more comfortable for checking info. To me, this is creativity in using new design technology, however I still feel more impressed with the other two above because they really bring a beneficent to human life.

They are the designs that I was inspired after watching the video. It seems like I have seen the Spyfish and the Installation somewhere before, they are not bad but also not much interesting. After all, I have learned that a good design doesn’t only have its appearance but also its function and behaviours must bring meaning to human life.

No comments:

Post a Comment